April 29, 2012 by readytogetsweaty
Seriously, Sunday where did you come from? I hate it when the weekend flies by, don’t you?
I have so much to share with you about my first PT appointment last week, but first things first… Well, we all know that today wasn’t a runday for me (blah). Was it for you? Even though I’m not allowed to run (PT rule) I did start out my day with an AMAZING workout compliments of Heather at Mind Body Barre. My arms were shaking for the first half hour and then my legs for the last half hour – yes, I was watching the clock I was a sweaty mess, but certainly loved every minute of it. I love taking class with Heather, she really kicks my butt and always makes us push harder. Change is uncomfortable, right?! Right!
After class I headed home, showered and got working on my grocery list. After feeling really bloated and gross last week I decided that on Monday (tomorrow) I would start the Beach Babe 5 Day Slim Down. I’m really excited for this slim down because there are a couple of other Tone It Up girls also taking part. I love how we hold each other accountable and keep each other motivated – it really makes all the difference!!! I didn’t have a chance to take a picture of my grocery haul, but plan on prepping everything later tonight, so I’ll snap a few pictures then.
Next on the agenda, blogging and work e-mails. I’m currently sitting in my favorite little coffee shop, Inhouse Coffee, with Mallory chatting, blogging, giggling and sipping on some yummy hazelnut coconut iced coffee. I’m also sitting here contemplating how to go from past tense to present tense in an e-mail. I am not even kidding you! Sometimes when I blog I feel like I’m writing a paper and everything needs to be perfect before moving on, lol. Perfectionist in the house! Okay, enough of that, moving on…
Okay, so I promised to update you on my physical therapy consultation, so here it goes…
Last Wednesday I had my first PT session and left with more answers than I did questions – cha-ching! It was the initial consolation so the therapist (Tarah) played around with my knee to try to get an idea what was going on. There was a lot of this…
Thank god I took three ibuprofen before my appointment – my knee was so sore afterwards.
After about 20 minutes of acting like a puppet, Tarah came to the following conclusions:
- No running. This means that I officially can not run my race on the 6th. Tarah would like to see me complete two full weeks of PT before attempting to run and my knee/leg definitely agree with her
- I have very tight calves. I was very surprised about this, since I’ve never had any problems with them in the past and I’ve been a foam roller fanatic since the pain started.
- There is a slight delay in the initiation of muscle contraction in my left quad – yes, that is a mouthful. I’m hoping to learn more about this during my next session.
- I’m a overpronator. This means that when I run, and walk, my foot strikes the ground on the lateral side of the heel.
So, what does this all mean?
- No running, can’t get more basic than that.
- Foam roll everyday, twice a day and pay extra attention to my calves and quads.
- Ice everyday, twice a day.
- Strengthen my quads.
- New sneakers.
My next appointment is tomorrow and that’s when I’ll really start exercising my legs and hips. I’m pretty excited to start strengthening my muscles so I can get back to running. I’ll be sure to keep you updated on my progress
Okay, its back to girl talk. Enjoy the last couple hours of the weekend – I know I will
xo – Rachael